View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:23 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

The kids are out of school now and it's great. Some people get tired of their kids but I'm not one of those. I really dig spending time with them.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Today the eldest wanted to have time with the youngest (Baby syndrome? She better not drag home some boy!) and my boy was tied up with the Nintendo Wii. That left the Powder Puff and I on our own. I had work I needed to do but she didn't have anything really going on. What's a good daddy to do?
Flake off and pull the old truck out for some wrench turning of course!

I started Cecilia up - Side note here, she has had a kind of cough'y, hammery sound lately in her passenger side of the ol' 305 V6 that was kinda scaring me. I thought her oil might be low but it checked out fine. I haven't changed it her oil because I can't get under her, but she has a sufficient amount that she shouldn't be having trouble. Anyway, I took a shot and gave her a dose of

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

and let her run for about 10 minutes. The cough disappeared. PP (The Powder Puff Mechanic) started calling the stuff Cough Medicine for Cecilia. It's about the size of a bottle of Nyquil so I think it fits.

Ok, back on track, I started her up and pulled her into the front yard this time. I know, brave, huh? All the neighbors are reasonably friendly so I think they'd tell me if I was disturbing them. I try to not be loud. We tossed the door that CoyoteRun gave us in the back and thought that might make a good project for today. We figured it'd take a couple of hours or so.

It took five.

Tools you will need:
1 Large Philips Head Screwdriver
1 Regular Philips Head Screwdriver
1 Pair Needle Nose Pliers
1 Can PB Blaster
1 9/16 wrench

We started by removing the three screws that hold the mirror on. The new door had some funky upper panel mirrors so I'll have to drill new holes. Later. I had problems with one screw that was apparently stripped out. Had to put my fingernail under it and pull up while I turned the screwdriver. It's a good way trim your fingernails if you don't have clippers. It wore mine down into the quick.

There's a rubber gasket under the mirror so be careful of that. Mine had marks under it too where the previous owner tried to line up the mirror.

Now shoot some PB Blaster on the door side of the hinge bolts. There's 6 bolts in there. Don't forget any of them. Then tap them with a hammer a couple of times just enough to ring their bell a bit and set up vibration.

Remove the cotter pin here and it'll let you open the door more. I didn't do this until afterward then was kicking myself because I was in such a tight area the whole time.

cotter key and pin:

Then take your 9/16 wrench and get ta' screwin' around. I took out the two over/under bolts out from each hinge, leaving one single bolt in each hinge for support. You don't want to run all of the bolts out at once or you'll wind up walking funny when the door falls off and jumps in your lap.

Now put a jack under the door for support. They're pretty heavy but not unmanageable.

While your helper is busy jacking up the jack (and letting it down, jacking it up again, sitting on it, putting rocks on it, etc...) you can keep your sanity by taking out the panel screws. There's 12 of them IIRC (If I Remember Correctly) and you'll use your big screwdriver on them.

Now grab your flathead screwdriver and poke it in the back of the handle like this to unscrew this screw a bit. It's just a pressure screw so run it out about five turns and it should be fine. You don't need to (or want to) run it all the way out and lose it.

Same with the other handle

Then gently lift the panel off and put it in a safe place where you won't trip over it or kick it because you busted your thumb with a hammer.

Then take the side screws out to release the vent window. There are four screws, longest two on the side, shorties on the top.

Then remove these two large screws about midway down the door. They're one on top of the other. Don't remove any other screws:

Then push down on the vent window, GENTLY. It could shatter and cut you to ribbons! Once it's down about a half inch pull it to the right gently, taking care to not tear up the corrogated window channel on the top of the window.

Then you can pull it outside the window area like this but it's not cleared at the base yet, one more twist to pay attention to...

Now twist the window so that it faces you like an axe falling on your head. This is because there's a little bracket on the bottom of it that won't let it come out without the twist.

Then just pull it up and out.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; May 25th, 2013 at 04:53 AM.