View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2022, 05:43 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1964 GMC K1001 Wide side SWB

Quote:
Thanks for the open arms welcome.

I am planning on rebuilding the V6 if its salvageable.

I've owned several old cars and truck over the years and I currently have more projects than I can keep up with. But I have never attempted a full restoration, where I am only using original parts, and going back like it was in 64. I know some of the stuff like door seals will be re-produced, I'm not likely to use anything but original steel on the rest of the truck.
As for the production numbers, from what I could find, there were only 633 Chevys made in 1965. I would like to get a good list of trucks still alive, you know the K1001 Club.
I give you a thumbs up by staying with original parts... I figured on my 65 GMC project that the market would be so big that the parts would all fit exactly and be of good quality... Boy was I disappointed. For example the fuel filler grommet. A new grommet, maybe half a year old and it is junk already. I always save the old OEM parts and will put that one back on. Bet it'll last 50 more years to come.

I always try to rebuild/repair the OEM parts. Sometimes you can, sometimes you cannot, unfortunately.

The OEM parts that are 50 years old are made with a quality that is a league of its own. Even the plastic on some clips is still flexible.

By the way, a welcome from me as well.