View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2023, 02:52 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

Hello GMC truck lovers, New update on my project. Finally got the cab lifted off the frame and set on a roll around dolly I made from some scrap steel.
The plan now is to remove the windshield because you can now stand right in front of it and remove with care.
A buddy of mine came over and he saw how far I am taking this restoration and he was puzzled over why I wouldn't remove the windshield and check and clean/paint the windshield channel.
I have to admit I am a little unorthodox on my methods. But when you are in your 60's working on something from the sixties, you have to work smarter not harder when you can.
Also with the cab off, you can see I have some more frame cleaning and painting to do where it sat.
This was also done by design because the days of me laying on my back scraping old undercoat off a body with all that dirt and grime falling in my face are over.
Next on the frame after finishing cleaning/painting is finish up building the main brake line and install on the right frame rail. Then onto the tank to fuel pump hard line. Next the finished engine and trans will then be united into the frame on some nice revulcanized motor mounts.
The cab will get pressure washed top to bottom after a manual degrime. Then the sanding and prep will begin.
Cheers guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cab1.jpg (2.60 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg cab off.jpg (2.74 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg frame1.jpg (3.22 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump