View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2014, 09:45 PM

Truck: 1963 C-1500 Custom
Snags is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering conversion questions

I am going to convert my 1963 1500 V6 to power steering by using parts from a 1969-1987 1/2 ton GM truck and getting the gearbox adapter plate from Captainfab, CPP or some place like that. Here's a few questions for anyone who's willing to help:

1. Instead of going to the junkyard to get parts I'm thinking about just buying all re-manufactured parts from an auto store. Looks like I could get most everything for about $275 (not including the adapter plate). Anyone done it this way and have good recommendations for sources?

2. Is there a particular year between 69-87 that would be best to use parts from?

3. How do you mount a 69-87 power steering pump in a GMC V6? Do I need to fabricate a mounting bracket myself, or can you buy one or use one from a different vehicle?

4. I have a three-belt pulley on the crank because my truck has after-market AC and will use one of those grooves for the power steering. But my truck only has a one-belt pulley on the fan. Do I need to run the power steering belt over the crank AND the fan both, and therefore need to get a double pulley for the fan? Or can I just run the belt just off the crank and then to the power steering pump directly?

Thanks boys.
Randy