Thread: 305D value?
View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2016, 01:41 AM

Truck: 1962 1000 Series Longbed
rsrose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305D value?

Hello Ken,

The truck drives fine in gear, especially at speeds above 40 mph at "normal" engine temperature. On deceleration, the engine often begins to sputter, then die. It will not start again until cooler Same problem if the temperature gauge goes above normal. In this case, vehicle just dies in traffic. Waiting in line on a hot day, same reaction. Note that clear-plastic fuel filter does not show fuel, just as if the fuel had been vaporized. When running, fuel filter shows gas passing on to carburetor. Only way to start it if not completely cooled off (waiting about an hour) is to use starter fluid or dump a little high octane gas down the carburetor. Mechanical fuel pump is 3 weeks old. All fittings and fuel lines OK. Sending unit filter inside tank OK. Today, on the way home in 100 degree temperature, it began to die by sputtering, but returned to function when I pulled out the choke.

Truck started doing this about the same time I put on the new mechanical fuel pump (there is no electrical pump) along with replacing a leaking brass fitting on the pump. Everything is now dry around the fuel pump. The vehicle has always been in my family. No gas smell when I try to start it once it has stalled. The battery turns over the engine. It's just that the engine won't catch.

Last edited by rsrose; September 19th, 2016 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Addition of second paragraph