View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2020, 12:07 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 401 vs 432 torque ratings???

Bob - The 7.3 was recalled, stop production order put on it for a couple weeks after only maybe 1000 engines were built. There's a tubular oil manifold used to oil the underside of the pistons sorta like the squirters on diesel engines, and they were formed incorrectly and were hitting the conn rods, made an odd noise and and there were chances the manifolds could break and foul up the rods and crankshaft.
Some guys are looking for wrecked 2020 trucks to get a 7.3 to shoehorn into their Mustang GT's. The 5.0L makes 460 hp, not sure how much of an improvement the 7.3 would be.
I was hoping the 7.3 would be more of a newer modern Super-Duty like the 401, 477, & 534 CID V8's Ford made back in the late 50's, 60's and I think early 70's. Back when GMC was building these great V-6's. GMC built in so many little features into the V6's that made them hold up to hours and hours of wide open throttle and fire up the next morning and do it all over again. The 637 cid V8 that replaced the 702 V12 is the largest displacement V8 built by ANY GM division, if GMC wants to offer a BIG modern gasoline engine I think there is a market for it. Lots of companies have a hard time justifying a medium duty truck, and a high priced diesel engine with higher priced maintenance needs makes that much harder. Company I worked for put about 50,000 miles a year on their 24 ft box truck. It was a Navistar with DT-466E, it was replaced with a little Sprinter van, also a diesel. But that was after ultra low sulfur fuel but WAY before DEF. SON's 2014 Ram 2500 kept setting Contaminated DEF codes, His Dealer kept complaining he wasn't using MOPAR DEF, he used Peak, ALL DEF is made at the same plant in Iowa, anyway, This dealer happens to be in Iowa. It cost $1500 but the truck was deleted, no longer used DEF at all. I can't imagine a contractor going through that kind of run-around, he would just buy a gas truck.