View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2019, 10:20 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana 44 rear disc conversion 5 lug, drum type parking e-brake vs Eldorado/Seville combo calipers?

Most of my 91 Suburban front end parts have arrived, as well as my OldeDays Classic Parts "old style big bearing Ford 9" rear" disc brake bracket kit!
The kit will be very simple to adapt to mount the caliper outboard (radially from axle centers) 0.22" further to fit the 5 lug on 5" bolt circle 1990-2002 AWD Astro Van front rotors. See photo. I'm just going to elongate the holes on the 3/8" thick plate steel caliper mounting bracket portion, and bolt it together in the exact alignment that I need it in, and tack weld the thick round steel spacer sleeves to the 3/8" thick caliper mounting bracket to locate them exactly on the slotted elongated holes that I created, since these spacer sleeves fit very tight and exacting on the grade 8 bolts used to bolt the two halves of the bracket together.

Honestly I should have seen the simplicity in a setup like this and fabricated my own brackets, but this is $79 worth of my fabrication time and materials procuring time right here... So as to encourage anyone else to not be put off by the custom bracketry, this stuff is pretty darn simple, and if you are zapping it together with a welder, you can have it mocked up on the truck or axle with the caliper and rotor, and get the caliper pads in exact alignment where you need them, and then tack weld the brackets to be dead on in terms of caliper/pad alignment on the rotor friction surface.

Now to fix my old 1959 South Bend Heavy 10L lathe to use to open up the centers of these Astro AWD front rotors! In the long term, I wanted to get a new set of GMC Dana 44 axle shafts made up in 5 on 5" lug pattern, and with a 3" center rotor/wheel register, in hopes that the modern metallurgy is far superior to the 1960's stuff, and hoping that I never break an axle shaft on one of these things!
So if I do that, I then will be able to always just use off-the-shelf Astro Van AWD front rotors.

Honestly I think adapting any of the modern parking drum brake in rotor hat type rear disc setups would not be that bad at all either, the only more difficult very precise parts would be re-drilling the rotors to the 5 on 5" or whatever preferred bolt pattern you are planning to use, and enlarging the center backing plate register hole to maintain near perfect centricity - as on the internal rotor hat drum parking brake, it really needs to be perfectly centered, whereas with the Cadillac style caliper with integral parking brake mechanism, that bracket doesn't need to be terribly precisely located other than being parallel to the rotor, as nothing else is critical to any tight tolerances. A competent machine shop can do the backing plate register hole resizing, and lug pattern redrilling for you if your shop tools (rotary table and very accurate drill press or a vertical mill) are not capable of that degree of accuracy.

Also - on caliper availability - typing in "85 Eldorado caliper" or "80 Seville Caliper" on eBay will give you even more results, and I also discovered that CPP (Classic Performance Parts) sells these brand new, which I discovered through eBay.

Also, among others such as Pirate Jack's, CPP has a special pdf brochure on how to set-up/adjust these "Cadillac style" rear parking brake disc combo calipers:

https://www.classicperform.com/Instr...structions.pdf

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190621_163502_1.jpg (4.57 MB, Multiple views, 33 clicks)
*'77-'79 Suzuki GS motorcycles, '76 Rickman CR900 roadracer.
*Dirtbikes: 2 Kawasaki KDX220R's, '77 Suzuki PE250, '83 PE175

Last edited by Chuck78; June 22nd, 2019 at 06:19 AM.