View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2019, 09:11 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Hydramatic Repairs

The crossmember is easy, Have you already determined the bellhousing/flexplate, shift linkage, driveshaft yoke/length and overall adapting procedure to a 305? With all the hearsay, urban legend stories and different "adapters", I would sure mock it up or take your adapters and try them on a 700r4....... and try it on your motor before buying a bunch of stuff and find out it won't work. Unless, of course, you know what you are doing.

Buying things on ebay for a V6 from someone who says it fits is no guarantee. Little is posted about 700r4 to V6. Check with Lewis Matkin, Ed Snyder, BigBlockV6 and GMCNUT. I have yet to read a trusted 700r4 to V6 story. But I could have missed it.

Anyway, I like this kind because they are modifiable and bolt on. There are several versions and many sellers of this tubular type.

My experience (not V6) is: I buy a running trans for $100-300, get it rebuilt for $300-400. Sometimes I take a chance and run it without rebuild, just refreshed. There are lots of very experienced, retired or health issue or Military Vet, trans mechanics who work from home.

The 700r4 is a very good choice. The theory would be that all these "Chevy" transmission's have the same bolt patterns for tranny and torque converter, so adapter parts will work for them all.

Last edited by AZKen; July 10th, 2019 at 11:24 PM.