View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2022, 05:41 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Drivability question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
Been a while since Iv'e done much and lots of changes, good and bad.

But here's the question I'm asking myself -- how "drivable" would a 401 w/auto be in a 'glass Model A pickup?

I've wanted to build one since I was a sprout and now have means/time to do it. I love low-end torque (drove Poppin' Johnnies as a kid) so the BB GMC's appeal to me.

But how will my antique engine out of a "New Idea" harvester handle long road runs and city traffic? (Assuming I get the gearing/tire size/etc correct)

I'd love to have the old torque monster in my truck but if something goes wrong two states away it could be a problem.

So what's you experience in long-distance cruising?
Sounds like a fun project! You should have no worries about long distance cruising. I bought my '62 in the Phoenix, AZ, area and drove it home to Oregon. Then later I drove it to Jolly's in Utah and back. And I drove my Dad's '65 from Wichita to Oregon in 2014 with no problems at all. Treated right, these engines are pretty bullet-proof.

I'm sure you're aware that your 401 weighs about 900 pounds. So you'll need some hefty springs for the front end on your glass A.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435