View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2023, 10:02 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Here is the exhaust downpipe work. I reused the old exhaust flanges that I faced on the lathe. I reworked existing gaskets to fit this application. A pipe reducer from the stock 2.5" to 2.25" was then welded on. The rest of the exhaust is 2.25", which should be plenty of exhaust for this application.
In the picture, the left side is fully welded but the right side is only tacked together. This is now fully welded as well. Quite a route getting around this oil filter. Exhaust work is fun to do, once you get the hang of it. It is a shame that when you finally get the hang of it, the exhaust is as good as finished.

I used a pipe reducer to create the slip fit for the rest of the pipes. A clamp is used to create a gas-tight seal.

My welding skills are not quite good enough to lay a continuous bead on a thin-walled exhaust pipe without creating holes... So this is a fish-eye paradise for the welders.

In the second picture, you can see the position of the O2-sensor. The nuts are still to be welded on, someone will TIG-weld these for me. Both pipes have a nut for the O2-sensor but only can be used at a time. A threaded plug is supplied and screws into the nut in place of the O2-sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20230713_141333.jpg (586.3 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg rsz_120230713_104938.jpg (409.0 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)