View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2022, 08:40 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 GMC C1000 Clutch slave piston excursion issue. Stock 3 on the tree.

I went through a similar problem a short while ago.
I'm not sure what differences there are between your 1000 and my 1500 (four speed).
My whole problem began with a gradual loss of full disengagement over a couple of years.
It turned out that the throwout bearing had failed and ate up the release fingers on the pressure plate.
After a tough rebuild process, I got things in order but had trouble finding the balance between full disengagement and enough clearance to allow the new throwout bearing's not being always in constant contact and turning.
I think it is helpful to look at the master cylinder and slave cylinders as a teeter-totter.
The master needs to travel its full distance to make the slave do the same.
Removing all the air (bleeding) is necessary but easy.
What I found was that the pedal linkage was not giving the master piston full range.
I do not know why. Some modification fixed it and (fingers crossed) I have had flawless clutch operation during this hay season, for the first time in a long while.
I have had the truck for 52 years, done all work needed myself and am really glad to have it working right.
More details are available if you thin they might help.