Thread: 62 GMC build
View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:28 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 62 GMC build

I've been looking for 07+Econoline wheels so I can run the stock caps and 16" tires. I've followed some leads but nothing panned out.
I saw wheels on my friends Dodge work truck that I like as long as the ugly center cap is removed. I thought I would maybe eventually get some of these and modern 17" tires after I found some of the Econoline steelies so I could have 2 different looks for the truck.
While searching eBay and Craigslist I kept finding them for $400-600 a set. No bueno!
While traipsing through an automotive shop to do my job I found a filthy set out in the dirt with spray paint on them...$100 later and they were mine!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I trial fitted them and realized I would probably need a 1" spacer in the rear.

I also wanted to run a tall rear tire since it is geared so low. I found a set of 265/65/17 for $50 that would get me going.

With a 1" spacer in the rear the 265 easily fit. I will eventually run 275/50/17 in the rear and I still haven't decided on the front. The front rubs slightly at full lock with no spacer. I haven't seen where yet.

My next project is to bead blast the wheels so they will have more of a retro look. I will probably leave the outer 5/8" shiny and possibly the center also. They(with a little help of some muriatic acid) would have the dark grey cast look.
I am also considering a powder coat that the coater tells me will look just like aged magnesium...

I also have 2 horn buttons that I want to use the centers out of to make my own center caps.If it comes out good I will need 2 more. I have some old jeep slot mag caps that screw to the rim but they aren't wide enough to clear the rear hubs.

Last edited by tommyduncan; February 1st, 2014 at 08:41 PM.