View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2023, 05:07 PM

Truck: 1964 1000
krazzz is on a distinguished road
Default Stromberg WW- Won't start after sitting/Stumble on acceleration

I have a truck that has been sitting for many years so I have been going through it getting maintenance done on it. So far I have, changed all fluids, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, new fuel pump, rebuilt carb, electronic ignition conversion, checked timing, etc.

The truck now runs and drives quite well but I still have two lingering issues. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to automotive carbs (have rebuilt dozens of small engine carbs.)

1. When the truck sits for a few days it will not start without starting fluid no matter how long you crank. It turns over quickly but will not fire. The choke looks like it is functioning and it is getting fuel. With a half a second shot of starting fluid, it fires up immediately and runs well. It will restart with ease the rest of the day and even the next day or maybe two but then longer than that it will not start. Any ideas? It had an electric fuel pump and I just went back to a mechanical but that didn't impact this situation one way or another.

2. It has a bit of a stumble when pushing the accelerator but after a second or so, it revs up fine and runs well throughout the rest of the RPM range. It isn't horrible but I think it should be running better than that. Idle is set at 550 RPM and the timing and advance are working properly. I suspected an issue with the accelerator pump but looking in the carb I see two healthy squirts of fuel when the throttle linkage is moved. It appears to be adjusted within spec according to the shop manual. What should I check next? I am planning on changing the vacuum advance from the metered port on the carb to the manifold. Not sure if it will help but I have heard that it makes the engine run smoother in general.