View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:55 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Quote:
(someone also suggested oil could be coming from distributor seal)

Hi Aphaynes,

Experimenting with alternatives to original road draft crankcase vent tube a 1965 Chevy 235 I6 engine, I closed off road draft crankcase vent tube. There was enough pressure in the crankcase to blow oil (like a gusher) up the space between distributor shaft and the vertical bored hole in which it is placed. The oil left the engine and went out to the world between the engine block and distributor flange. I opened up the crankcase vent again and, of course, the oil stayed where it belonged: thank you, gravity.

Suggests to me your clogged crankcase vent may be related to gushing oil.

Hope this helps, Here's hoping for a quick fix, and Regards,

Culver
Awesome! That to me is what looks like has been happening...gusher....the way it has covered the rear end of the engine, the trans housing, the firewall, etc. etc. I am trying to figure out now how to safely remove that so I can get it all cleaned up and get the gunk out of that center hole without sending it into the block. It appears to be a press fit, but it must be in their pretty tight. Of course the gunk is probably gluing it in. LOL.

Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully i can report good some good news when everything is cleaned up and put back together. Unfortunately, I'll be getting home to late tonight to do anything with it.