View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:38 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6066 GMC Truck Bed Rails,steel,wood,homemade or factory direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccollector View Post
I will have to look for my early GMC accessory books . As for the 1959 print date, it was common for Chevrolet accessories to be advertised or made in the beginning of each model year. Mid to late 1959 is when the new 1960 models were introduced. The 988257 accessory number is listed in the 1960 Chevy only parts book that book was also printed in 1959. I have an NOS set of these and a used set I pulled off a 1960 years ago. Very good question on whether they came on GMCs ??
Any luck finding GMC paper with the side bed rails? I have been digging, and I did manage to run across 1963 Chevrolet Accessory books with the rails. One US, and one Canadian Chevrolet. Same part number. The US GMC 1963 Accessory book has no rails. In fact, no US GMC Accessory book from 60-66 lists the rails. I think the rails look great on GMC trucks. I also think, based on the overwhelming evidence available, that the rails were never available from GMC. IF you had a GMC, and wanted "GM Rails", you had to use a Chevrolet Part number to order them. All the evidence points to this. Some dealers had both lines, so in-house ordering of Chevy parts to bolt to GMC trucks, was no problem. Others had to drive across town to the Chevy parts counter to order the rails. I would have done that in a minute. Even though they were never a 6066 GMC Approved Accessory, they were GM Built in the USA, and certainly period correct, and looked cool. GM