Thread: starter shims
View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2015, 07:20 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: starter shims

Greetings Texas63GMC!

I agree with AZKen. The fact that the starter does not disengage and keeps running indicates a problem with the ignition switch, weak (or missing) return spring in the solenoid, or binding solenoid plunger. I have never seen a shift fork bind up in a GM starter of any kind. The first thing I would check is the circuit between the ignition switch and the solenoid to make sure that when the switch is released from the start position that there is no voltage going to the starter solenoid terminal. You can do this by disconnecting that lead from the solenoid and connecting it to a test light. Because of the location of the starter, this will probably require a second person to observe the test light while you operate the ignition switch. If the ignition switch passes this test, then you will have a problem with the starter itself. I know that this will sound far fetched, but there is always the possibility that the re-builder failed to install a return spring in the solenoid. I've seen stranger things happen. I hope this helps!