Thread: Excited wire
View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2019, 09:39 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Excited wire

The coil has a hot (positive)(+) connection. This is supposed to be connected to the ignition switch. It is supposed to be from an ignition swich terminal usually called "ON" or "RUN" position. The ignition switch also has a battery feed (hot)(positive) marked B or Bat. If someone attaches the coil wire to the B or Bat, the motor will start and not stop. You will think you are turning the motor (coil) on and off, but it's really always on. The coil will be energized all the time. Turning the coil off is what stops a motor. I was mentioning that a motor, that won't stop, could have this mis-wire problem. Just something for you to check if it won't shut off. Any other wire/feedback that keeps coil energized (hot) all the time will not allow motor to shut off.
The is another circuit involved with the coil to protect the points, if you have points. 6066 uses a long resistance wire. I use a ballast resistor on mine. The idea is called "bypass". Full battery power to coil to start the motor than reduced voltage to coil/points. Maybe you did something during alternator install, or unknown wire hook up, that is causing the run on.

Last edited by AZKen; February 13th, 2019 at 10:02 PM.