View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2018, 05:15 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Towing capability

Other than the aluminum radiator, clutch fan, taller tires and single into dual Flowmaster 10, mine is original. I did replace my 4:56 with 4:10, so I could do 65 mph. I tow our 4K lb camper all the time in the flatlands and able to maintain 60-65 mph unless a long hill. The early GMC 1500 is a 3/4 ton and is rated for 5K lb tow capacity.

I have towed 7K lb several times in the flatlands and in the Ozarks. In the Ozarks it’s not pretty... I can get up to 55-60 mph without too much trouble when it’s flat, but end up down shifting several times before I hit the top of the hills, doing 10-25 mph in a 55 mph zone. Not fair for other drivers, but I only do it when I rent skid steers and haul gravel.

I’ve never had any trouble stopping, since I installed an electric brake controller and make sure the trailers I tow either have electric or hydraulic surge brakes.

I couldn’t imagine towing 14K lb out on the road with the way our trucks are set up. As others have mentioned, you need a larger motor with additional torque and horsepower. Plus, there’s not enough gears in our transmission. 3rd and 4th gears are worthless for towing heavy on grades. If you’re idleing around on the property or dirt roads, granny low has a lot of guts. But if you don’t have enough tongue weight, you’ll lose traction. I have a set of off-road chains to put on sometimes when towing heavy on grades and breaking traction.