View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:37 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Now mash it all back into the box. If you have your square box with the single circular hole cover you can put it on now for a clean look. Mine still isn't here. That looks safe enough for the girls I go out with though.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The next part involves many hours in a hot attic. Make sure you have someone to watch you in case you start shooting sparks from your ears.

In the attic I crawled through the yuk and tacked down my romex with these little plastic clips with nails on them.

Here's the run. The door shown was my lie-down un-comfy spot.

Next I found where my oven went down the wall. My oven is one of only a couple of 30 amp breakers in my box so I thought it was a good candidate for a tie-in. I turned my compressor wire 90 degrees when I got even with the oven's location so I could keep the run as straight as possible.

Here's the compressor wire (orange) next to the oven's wire (black). Now I put my hotstick against the wire and sure enough it is hot. I had the Powder Puff run inside and flip the oven breaker on and off in 5 second intervals. The blinking of my tester was every 5 seconds so I knew it was the right wire AND the right breaker.

Never trust your breaker box's hand written labels. Always test!

After testing, retesting, and testing my tester, I made my cut. Powder puff was on standby with 911 ready. I don't know what I'm doing, did I mention that?

I chewed off the sheathing with the dykes.

Then I cut the wires. I didn't fry so thank goodness for that. I splayed them out and took another 1/4 inch of insulation off the ends.

I ran them into the box and tightened the clamps on the side. My oven wire was TIGHT. I barely got them into the box. I may never get it tied to the stud behind it.

I ran the Romex in through the top.

I then got to wiring. My oven is 4 wire and my compressor is 3 wire so I had to study up on that. My thinking was to just wire the oven back up with wirenuts and put the other wires under the same nuts. The oven wire was so tight that I had to make 6 inch wire bits and tie them to each side. If we call the incoming wire from the breaker the "incoming", the outgoing wire to the oven the "outgoing", and the compressor the "romex", this is how I wired it up.

Incoming white ----> Outgoing white
Incoming ground ----> outgoing ground AND romex ground
Incoming Red ----> Outgoing red AND romex white
Incoming black ----> Outgoing black AND romex black

I did have to trim some of the bottom skirt off of the wire nuts to get them to spin but in the end this is what I finished with. It looks awful.

When I finished and unwound my poor back muscles, I laid the hotstick in the box o' nuts and had the Powder Puff go QUICKLY flick the breaker on and off. Snip snip! It worked and didn't send me into a fit of fireworks. So I had her try again for a 5 count. Still no sparks or weirdness. So I had her turn it on and leave it. Then I crawled down and tried the oven. It worked! Good start for a newbie, eh?

Finally I put a label on the box so I would know which breaker it uses (or for the next owner) then I plugged it in. I flicked on the compressor.....it roared to life! SUCCESSSSSSS!

I didn't have any more time to play with it tonight but tomorrow I'll pressurize it and test it for leaks and the cutoff. It was past the Powder Puff's bedtime. Poor little girl worked her butt off today with her Daddy. She deserved a story and some snooze time.

WARNING: this is just what I did. You shouldn't do anything with electricity. It can kill you. It probably will. Just call an electrician and don't be a tightwad like me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.