View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:15 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Link to my video showing shifting without a clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I used to drive an '87 Chevy S10 that I shifted without the clutch all the time. Like Hubarlow said it's easy as matching motor to truck speed. One thing I didn't know is that you could start one from a dead stop without the clutch. How do you pull that off?
On the old Granny Low 4 speeds it is a cinch. It is a bit harder with a normal first gear, but it is possible as long as the engine has a good tune, and the starter and battery are both strong. It also helps to be either on a flat, or going downhill. Uphill would be nearly impossible. On the '57 that I had to drive from Denver to Longmont, I was fortunate that it had a granny low transmission. The truck had NOT been tuned, but the starter and battery were both strong. I would crank and crank until the engine finally caught. By then, the light was RED, but I was in the middle of the intersection. I got caught a few times until I figured out how to time the lights. Then I drove very slowly until the light turned green (and then I shifted HARD).