View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
I can't imagine a knife would cut this seal unless there's a power blade on it. I'm serious about how hard it is. It's like a rock. from the description there I guess this isnt normal. I dont want to break the glass of course but maybe I can take a propane torch to it or something and get it more pliable?
Just thinkin out loud
Do -not- get a torch near it. One "hot spot" while the rest isn't could very easily cause the windshield to shatter...

My '63 4000 had a good windshield, I was removing the overheat rack extensions (cutting them off) and one small piece of slag dropped onto the windshield wiper. Sent cracks out almost immediately.

With the windshield on the 60-63 being more expensive and harder to install/remove I would suggest extreme care if you decide to remove it. Cut slowly, a little at a time. In the past I have heard a horror story or two about someone breaking the window trying to get it in, getting it to seat in the gasket due to the curves. On one of my '61s there is an obvious gap, bottom center of the windshield, in the gasket due probably to shrinkage over the years. During wet weather the rain would bubble through to the inside while driving. After serious contemplation about removing the windshield, I decided to fill the space with clear silicone sealant. Then carefully went around the entire window rubbing sealant into the entire gasket to seal any cracks or other potential problems. I could have just covered it with a bead, but I didn't want it to look like I had added sealant. A little clear sealant and my fingers "massaging" the seal into the cracks and around the edges.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500