View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2020, 07:12 PM

Truck: 64 PU
Dano64 is on a distinguished road
Default Where's the smoke coming from??

Hi.

I've been stymied long-term on time availability and carburetor mysteries.
The front pointed out vacuum problems and after replacing the intake and exhaust manifold gasket and plumbing vacuum lines properly, the 250 sounds excellent and idles beautifully.

But... smoke.

At first I thought it was oil on the exhaust manifold but it's not burning off.
I think this might be fuel leaking from the carburetor and smoking, clearly worse than oil.

Best I can tell as a source is that maybe the floats are set wrong and it is overflowing and pushing through the marginal gasket. I have a rebuild kit on the way from Mike's carburetors. They have been helpful, though I'm not sure I have the right kit for my (probably) Rochester B.

Any tips on finding source of smoke? I've tried looking all around and even using my son's awesome inspection camera (Ridgid from Home Depot) but can't tell other than the wet carb gasket (between top and bowl).

Thanks. The truck has been slowly tinkered with and sitting lonely in the driveway and I really really really want to get past this. I'm ok with mechanical and electrical fixtures (what I don't know, I learn), but carburetor stuff blows my mind somehow.