View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2020, 03:27 AM

Truck: 64 PU
Dano64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where's the smoke coming from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Does it smell like fuel or oil? Do you have a video to show us?

If the float level is too high the engine would run rich and might not run smoothly. Gas mileage would also suffer. With the engine running at idle, look down the carburetor. Do you see fuel dripping off of the discharge nozzles? If you do the the float level too high, if not then it is OK.

I also was looking at one of your video and noticed a HEI distributor had replaced a point distributor. The point distributor has a resistor wire to help prevent burning up the point a low engine speed. You will need to bypass that wire so the HEI distributor will get full power. Also the original wire gauge is too small. The easiest way to update this is with a relay and a fuse. Also make sure you engine idle is set to spec because the centrifugal advance will start to kick in around 1000 rpm.
@James it looks mostly like oil burning off, and maybe it is and I just didn't give it enough time. Not quite as white of smoke as I was expecting and can't tell for sure. I haven't driven it since getting the gasket fixed - because the smoke is too much and I was fearful it was fuel. Will try to get video.
Distributor resistor wire - bypass that to get full power to HEI. Relay and a fuse. Why a relay? Seems relatively low current.
Noted on idle; that was one of the main problems before the gasket (vacuum leak) fix; easy to idle down now!