View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:07 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Towing capability

A few other thoughts. My 64 1500 was originally equipped for a camper. It came with oversized front drums and vacuum assist brakes. The vacuum assist was removed after taking the camper off because the drums locked up too easy with no load. But even when new, the need for brake assist was recognized. And, assuming you have a standard transmission, how good is the clutch. The truck plus 14,000 pounds is a lot to ask from the stock clutch. The stock SM 420 transmission with compound low is probably up to the job, and you might already have a heavy duty (8 lug) full floating rear axle plus 4.10 rear end in a 1500. Also to be considered when stopping are the trailer brakes. If they can't slow the trailer down, then you will have a potential jackknifing problem - especially if the road gets slick. And thinking of some of the grades in Colorado, you might even need a fire extinguisher for the brakes. Sorry, but there are good reasons that today's big trailers are usually pulled by more modern 3/4 and 1 ton pickups with large engines, exhaust braking, and big disc brakes. I know because I pull a mid-sized 5th wheel (at about 14,000 lbs) with a Dodge 2500 that has a 6.7 liter Cummins diesel engine. It would probably pull a house, but I still have to let traffic by on steep uphill grades. And despite 4-wheel disc brakes and good trailer brakes, I am grateful for the engine brake when going downhill. The old GMC is a family keepsake and, with the bed lower to the ground, is great for loading. But I would not pull a big load with it and, honestly, I would hate being behind you going uphill or having you coming downhill toward me while pulling such a heavy load.

JRMunn