View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:44 AM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Towing capability

At this point, you are out of my league with improvements. But about your main question, my experience has been that the 305 is underpowered for even loads in the bed. In my case, top speed in third gear is about 35 mph, and second is about 20 mph. Clark is right about trailer brakes, gears, and a bigger motor. Having lost all hydraulic braking when a front hose broke, I would strongly recommend a dual master cylinder system (which I have now). And I put a Holley 4412 (?) carburetor on my 305. It helps, but not enough for your situation. I am also not sure you could use 351 heads on a 305, but others probably know for sure. If they fit, magnum heads plus intake and exhaust manifolds would also help. But then you might have trouble finding enough gas stations. On paved roads with a 5th wheel setup, you are probably okay with traction, but be aware that the stock rear end is single wheel drive (not positraction). I would also worry about tire and wheel capacity, where your idea about dual wheels would help a lot. Finally (for me) there is a question of what happens if a patrolman wants to see if your setup meets legal requirements. This is uncharted territory for me. Good luck with your decisions and travels.

JRMunn