View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2021, 01:30 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Been neglecting this forum. A few months ago I got my engine close to perfect on the timing. It doesn't spit flames and backfire anymore, but it still could use a bit of tuning on the vacuum advance.

I also solved my locked up brakes. First, the parking brake was adjusted too tight by the previous owner. Loosened the cable, pulled the handle 4 clicks, then tightened the cable until the brakes started to drag. After that, I had an issue with a kinked brake line at the proportioning valve. Used my last 6" of brake line to recreate the 4" section; no room for error. After that was solved, I had some preload on the master cylinder. Seeing as my pushrod is already as short as it can go, I had to put 2 washers behind the master cylinder. It solved the issue. Wheels spin freely with engine running and engine off, but the brake pedal doesnt have too much travel before the brakes are applied.

This truck is almost road worthy. It still needs tires and the control arm bushings torqued, but I think I can solve those fairly easily. I got a new torque wrench that should help me get the leverage to get 220lb-ft on the upper bushings. Also, I recently got a job at a tire shop. Might be able to bring the loose wheels to work some day and mount up some new tires on my lunch break.