Thread: 305A carburetor
View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2021, 02:45 AM

Truck: 1960
bostru is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305A carburetor

To be a little more specific the leaky float bowls have always been problematic . This particular carb had a bent or misaligned power valve "stem" Swapped in another metering body with good stem from another carb off of six cylinder Ford The throttle body bore from that carb has a 2 5/8 "bolt spacing and a 1 9/16" bore (seems this is the most common 1904 ).The 305 GMC is measures 2 15/16" bolt spacing and 1 3/4" bore . With the metering body from the 'smaller carb' truck idles fine but surges at low speed and does not have top end power as before .I tried this with a couple other metering bodies with pretty much same results . Asked Mike's if they knew anything about swapping these bodies but he had never done that.I have a line on another carb with the 'larger throttle body' so I will try that metering body and see. As I said before I have had many of these carbs before used and pro rebuilt and eventually the bowls seem to leak . I have checked flatness on the bowl and cover and corrected as per Mike's . I'll keep ya posted when I swap the other metering body. Yes I would still be open to another bolt on carb but seems no one here knows of one. Thanks