Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:57 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: inline six woes

Thanks jagarra,
There are so so many variables to vibrations. WOW . Currently looking into a HEI or new flamethrower coil to go with Pertronix pointless set up. I've done mechanical corrections (all needed) like motor mount insulators, slip yoke, bal drive shaft, new u joints, new rear pinion seal, bearing and redi sleeve, etc. I have not ruled out carb at all. I looked down carb (not running of course), gave the linkage a decent push and did not see a straight stream of gas. It came out kinda weak and wand like with a couple extra drips. It's fine once it gets a higher volume of gas. Member Doug makes some good points on these one barrel Rochester B's. Some have suggested crank whip; others vacuum, etc. BTW, I will look into minivac check. Though I don't loose any pressure in pedal.
FYI, throw out bearing is another sore spot. That too can contribute to the effects i'm getting; I think??? They are worn, loose, incorrectly installed, etc. I can hear clutch or bearing friction when clutch is depressed. Also ticking noise if I depress top of clutch pedal (free play area) while driving.
LOL, this is an old thread revived. May get a resolution yet.

For other readers with inline woes, I did find carbon streaking in distributor cap on two towers. Also noted that the rotor was striking the inside of cap too high. It was grazing the plastic in the cap. Got rid of cap and went with a made in America heavier Borg Warner cap and new delco rotar. Plugs are cleaner and engine picked up power, Still have unburned fuel stink. Making progress!