View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:01 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
This is the way my alternator, amp meter and starter and connected.

From amp meter, one side, I've got one wire from starter battery +
On the other side, two wires: alternator battery b+ then the other wire is my main harness power.

Does it make sense to you? When I turn on light, there is a power consumption and it reads zero when key is off.
Yes this is correct.

Base on the pictures you posted earlier it look like you have a Delco-Remy 65 amp alternator (with a two wire connector plug into the side of the alternator) with an internal regulator. One option is to have the alternator bench check at an auto part store.

Or if you have a volt meter you can test it. With the engine running check the voltage output of the alternator with a volt meter (should be approx. 13.5-14.0 volts)? It should be nearly identical reading at the battery. If it is less than that there is a D shape hole on the back side of the alternator. Inside that hole is a metal tab. Using a small pocket screw driver ground that tab to the side of the alternator while monitoring the voltage. It should go up, may go over 14.0 volts, so don't leave it on it too long. The alternator may even moan while the current is flowing out. If it does work it look like the internal regulator at fault and will need to be change.

Let us know what you find.