View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2017, 04:11 AM

Truck: 1963
gmcdan1963 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '65 Dash Cluster Wiring Terminals

Update:

I've been pretty busy and haven't had time to update since ordering the terminals from digi-key.

I ordered a few different terminals that I was hoping would work for this application and found one that I like better than the others. There doesn't seem to be an exact match available from digi-key (I looked on other sites without much luck there either).

I'll attach a picture of the one I believe is the best fit and didn't require much of a modification.
It's manufacturer's part number is: 42101-2
It's digi-key part number is: A100615CT-ND

This terminal can be crimped on the 16-18 AWG wires for the dash gauges and fits inside the factory plastic connector. It can also be soldered if you don't have the correct crimping tool.

The male pin on the the back side of the gauge panel is approx 3/32" dia and the inside of the gauge harness connector is approx 5/32" dia.
The factory terminal was almost oval in shape to fill the connector, but still make contact with the male pin on the gauge cluster.

I couldn't find a terminal that would meet all the size requirements and could also be pressed into the oval shape like the factory.
This is why I like the terminal listed above. It has a split barrel, with two parts to it. I was able to slightly open the very tip of the barrel for easier alignment with the gauge pin, and still maintained good contact with the lower portion.

It was a little more work to get the terminals to align than with the factory one, but not impossible. It is a snug fit so using some dielectric grease might help with removal in the future.

It took 4 days to get the package from digi-key, and the box was much larger than needed (it shipped priority mail rather than first class =$$) but I'd order from them again.

Daniel