View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2016, 08:26 PM

Truck: 1964, K15
Lineman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Man Trans stuck in gear

Hey guys, thanks for the interest and the help.

So I pulled the shifter and tried to line some stuff up in there and didn't get anywhere with that. I think I found out why when I pulled the top off the trans.

This trans has the E-brake lever on the right side attached to the top cover. So we did our best to just lift the top cover and slide the gears in neutral and put the cover back and after several tries we were unsuccessful. We were finally able to find the room between the trans and the body to get the top of the trans completely out you must have to have your tongue just right but when its ready it comes out and goes back fine.

So here is what was wrong, is was the reverse slide in the top of the trans. Somehow the shop got the mechanism out of sync in the top of the trans apparently between reverse and what I will call first gear and we had to help the mechanism in the top of the trans in the neutral position with a hammer. Once all three of those slides in the top are in a neutral position and then all the collars in the trans have to be in a neutral position with the reverse lever going to that cluster of gears in the bottom lining up with the neutral potion you just put in neutral in the top of the trans when you put it all together you should be home free.
We had two people, one holding the top of the trans and the other lining things up on the right side of the trans paying attention also to the reverse lever as things went together.

Hope this helps somebody down the road, I think its the first time I have ever had the top off of a transmission but cant me sure as my memory cant be trusted. The guy with me is an excellent mechanic and he never had one of these apart to it took us a minute to figure out that the reverse mechanism was what was jamming things up. I was surprised we had to beat the top slides into position, but it was just a tight transmission I think. When you get it all apart and start figuring things out it will start making since. I anybody has any questions PM me and we can talk about it as I assume you wont be close enough I can come help.