View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2015, 02:38 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very lucky Clock/Tach EBay purchase

Here is how the Tach and clock are mounted in my truck. I think the two accessory items are back loaded. The chrome rings would be employed if they were mounted on the metal,1960-61 GMC instrument housing. The 1962 + GMC switched to a plastic housing(as seen here),which has cast bosses to accept the "GMC Approved" Accessory gauges. There is Williamson Instrument Repair that does amazing repair/repurposing. They can take a tach and convert it from 6 to 8 cylinder, and solid state too. The old battery box can be left for looks, or removed. All the system is inside the tach. Just two wires to run and done. My clock runs but I have been told that is rare in these old clocks. Mine has all the original internals, including the burnt contact points which energize the clock every 30 seconds or so. I may rig a separate battery just for the clock. If I can repair the points, I may can save the internals. You play heck setting the clock, because the pull arm is so close to the housing. I wait till the real time is matched up, and then hook up the battery. A broke clock is right twice a day. Later, Greg Mead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gauges.JPG (2.20 MB, Multiple views, 43 clicks)