View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:48 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Install a home or business alarm system project

Now hook your indoor sirens and/or outdoor sirens (any sirens really) to #3 and #4 using the single-wire to multi-wire wire nut system you used for the keypads.

Now hook up your 2 wire smoke alarm to the #8 and #9 terminals with a 2000 resistor as the last one in the line. Here's a pic of what I mean:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then hook up your front door to zone 2 by connecting it to the #10 and #11 terminals. If you want to connect a whole room (windows, doors, etc) to the same zone you should do this with your wires:

Daisy chaining door or window contacts (puts them on the same zone):

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

While we're here let's talk about programming the zone. Program any door you may enter when armed as an "entry/exit". Get into programmer's mode by pressing * and # at bootup. Then press *56 to go to the zone section. Select zone 01 by typing 01*. If you don't have a fire alarm you can delete the zone (basically put it on standby) by pressing 00* right after zone selection. So your keypresses to delete (remember, it's not really deleted, just marked as unused) are: * and #, Your installer code, *56, 01*, 00*.
Then it'll ask you to confirm. Do it. Then it'll move you to the next zone, in this case zone 2. Which is our door and what we needed anyway. Hit *, then follow the prompts to set the type to entry/exit.

For motion, hook one wire up to the + (or high) of the zone # you're wanting it to trigger, then one on the - (or low) of the zone, usually a common ground between 2 zones. There might be two more wire connections on some motion detectors. These are called (surprisingly) FOUR wire motion detectors. Those extra wires go to the + that your keypads are tied to and the - that your keypads are tied to for some power to the detector. So they'll have a common power supply.

To program the motion detector, you need to choose the zone type of "Delay" or "follower" in programming mode. Delay gives you a delay like an entry door. Follower will go off any time they're tripped unless you trip an entry door first. So my motions are all followers because I'll trip a door before I get to a motion. If you have a motion BEFORE you get to a door, like on an entry way outside for instance or a porch area maybe, you should set it to "Delay".

After wiring, get into programming mode again by restarting your system, hold * and # again, and hit your installers code after you see 20. Then hit 800. Then hit *56 and hit 1 for yes. Then hit your zone number, in my case 05. Then hit *. Then hit 04 for the zone type (interior follower) and *. Then * your way through the rest. Hit *99 to save and exit.

Now's a good time to set up your entry/exit codes for you and the family. You can set up a different code for each family member and it'll log each entry so you can tell who set off the alarm or let the bad guys in for insurance money.
Remember, the installer's code you entered should NEVER be used as an arm/disarm code for regular use! It doesn't always work to disarm the system!

To show the countdown when you hit ARM go into programming and hit *197 then hit 1. It'll now show a countdown when you hit ARMED.

Program security codes:
YOU MUST REBOOT THE SYSTEM BEFORE YOU CAN PROGRAM NEW USERS
First Unplug the black lead to the battery. Then unplug the system and let it die for 20 seconds. Plug it back in to the wall only.

Now make sure the user you want to program is empty. To do this:
To delete a secondary code, do the following: [Master Code] + [8] + [User Number] + [#] + [0]. You will receive a short confirmation beep letting you know the code has been deleted.

For a new master code, which is your super-user code, boot the system as normal. When it says Disarmed Ready, type your installer code, then 8, 02, then whatever you want your master code to be. Again, remember the master code is NOT the installer's code. These are two different things.

For a new family member's user code, pick a number for each family member between 03 and 49. For instance, Bob is your son. His number is 03. Sally is your daughter. Her number can't also be 03 unless you want them to share the same code. Her number should be 04, and on and on.

To code it, type this (for Bob's 03 user code): (master code) 8 03 (or any user number from 3 to 49) (new code). i.e. 9999 8 03 4818, where master code is 9999, 8 is for programming a passcode, 03 is the user number, and 4818 is the pass code Bob chose to use.

Remember, substitute any number from 03 to 49 for each user. This is your user's number in the system. Like, user number 03 has a passcode of say, 9933. User 04 has a passcode of 1847, etc. Hopefully that's explained enough to make sense. I'm having snoozy brain right now so if it's not ask for help and ill try again.

Convenient UPS delivery mode
To enable a "just a minute" mode to let the dog out or answer the door press *91 and type 8, then hit *99 to save and exit.
Then you can have your alarm on but hit * if you need to let the dog out or answer the door. In 60 seconds (or whatever your timer is set to) it'll re-arm.
It will also let reset the timer if you set the alarm, leave, then forget something and run back in real quick. Instead of hurrying, you can see that the countdown is just reset. Once it counts down it'll arm itself.

A note for people without monitoring:
My system is monitored but I'm a paranoid guy with kids. If you want an unmonitored system you can do this from programming mode.
Type *95,0 to kill it's trying to pick up incoming calls.
Type *41* to clear any stored monitoring numbers it's trying to call permanently.

If you want to get alerts to your phone or email because you're not monitored:
EVL-3 - Envisalink Internet Alert Module is what you use to connect it to the internet and get email alerts.
You can get them here

At this point I got into the weeds and stopped taking notes. The good news is that if you can program 1 zone you can program 100 zones so it's not difficult to get it up and running from here on out. Just a lot of wiring, rebooting, and programming mode.

Worthless note about function keys:
Set up function keys (pre-programmed keys on the keypad) as:
A - 00 (Zone 95 set as type 09 - fire)
B - 00 (Zone 99 set as type 07 - audible panic)
C - 03 (arm STAY)
D - 04 (arm AWAY)

Stuff you should never do:

My takeaway on it is that installing an alarm system when you already have one isn't too tough. Installing one when you don't have one requires you to crawl through the attic and drill holes in your walls but even that isn't too bad if you're in decent shape for crawling around up there. Any problems you can always put mud over and repaint.

So if youre thinking about doing it go for it! Its not hard just time consuming. My total install time including taking notes, trying not to disturb the neighbors and kids with testing the alarm, and research was about three days.

Good luck and maybe you won't be a victim of dudes like this idiot arrested in 2007 for burglary!

Additional note: I'm thinking about wiring a motion detector as a "Delay" and putting it in my truck too as a cheap car alarm system. If I do I'd just wire up as if it were indoors and run a wire out to the eaves of the house, then hang it on a hook when not in use, put it in the truck when its parked. Hmm...

Any questions just ask!

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; June 15th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.