View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:34 PM

Truck: 1964 3/4ton Factory 4WD
5Tractorguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need ignition upgrade help/advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey478 View Post
5tractorguy, I put on an MSD6 and MSD coil on my 478 in the Massey tractor. The points in the distributor only act as a trigger so they do not wear like they do when running normally. It made a great difference, starts better, runs better, plugs stay cleaner with my larger jets. An MSD6al has rev limiter chip capability if you want that. There are many MSD units for sale on Ebay. I have bought five of them there to put on various pieces of equipment, cars and trucks I have. I have never run a Pertronix so I cannot offer a first hand experience to compare them to MSD. I just know we are very happy with the MSD system.
I had a look through ebay. Seems to be plenty of units to choose from out there. Looks to be another route I can take instead of building an HEI unit. Will probably be an easier conversion in the long run too... and I've heard plenty of good things about the MSD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
Yes, HEI was used as early as '72/'73 model year on some engines, Chevy used it a lot in '74, and on everything in '75.

I had a '70 Nova with 307 V-8, and a '77 Firebird with 301 V-8, HEI was a much better system.

Installing an MSD 6AL sounds like a great idea. They make speed limiter chips low enough to match the Big V-6's operating range, 3000-3800, and 4000-4800. Take your pick.
Good info Powerstroke!

Prepping the truck today for the trip Friday. Grease, oil, fluids etc... I pulled the distributor cap and checked everything last night and cleaned the brass contacts on the inside of cap. That's about as good of an "upgrade" as it'll get before this trip.

May check the timing again too. I played with that a bunch within the first year of getting the truck. I ended up leaving it at the stock 5deg before and running it.