View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2021, 10:12 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Overcharging alternator and buzzing voltage regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscaynebirdie View Post
I’ve read that the one wire alternator is a major time saver. However, today I actually managed to get the original voltage regulator back in working order! 12.7 volts at idle, 13.5 volts around 1500 RPM, and goes about as high as 15 volts when I’m really giving it gas. Everything seems okay for now. If this doesn’t last, I’ll convert to the one wire alternator.
One thing that can make the voltage high is a bad connection(s). With the engine running. Take your volt meter and measure the voltage drop from the positive battery post (not the clamp) and the output stud on the alternator. You should see no more than 1/2 volt. Do the same thing on the battery negative post to the case of the alternator. You should see no more than 1/2 volt. In fact less voltage is better. I seen more alternator ground problems than anything else.

Let me know if you have a high reading (more than 1/2 volt) and on which circuit (positive or negative).