View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2019, 12:03 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turn signal cancellation repair 2

Next came the decision of what size to drill and screw combination to use to attach the cancellation unit. Not knowing how big the shaft was behind the unit, I figured using a smallest size I could find would be good. I first tried a 4-40 size, but when I started to put the drill against the shaft I didn’t like the size, it was too big. I so I started looking to see what I had in my stocks of stuff, I came across some 3mm taps, it required a #40 drill bit and I had some screws just the right length.
I bet some of you are wondering about how we are going to deal with the pushed on forever clip and the flared end of the shaft we are going to work on. Well the process of drilling and tapping the shaft neatly takes care of that issue.
That flared end makes a nice guide for the drill bit, so it went straight to center and started cutting into the aluminum shaft pretty easily. This shaft is part of the turn signal stock that sticks out from the side the column After a bit I figured I had gone a good way and started to thread the hole, after a few turns the tap picked up our forever clip and it was out of the way exposing a nice picture of the attachment of the cancellation unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DirTap.JPG (86.1 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg DirExp.JPG (93.4 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)