View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

A few guys asked me recently how long I've been turning wrenches. I said "What? Have you seen my thread?"

To me its obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing by the disjointed way I go about my build here. My philosophy is to find whats leaking or squeaking then see how I can make it stop in the cheapest, yet most effective way possible. In the process I end up chasing rabbits and fixing or destroying other stuff. As for experience well I changed my oil about three times in high school in my 1983 chevy truck. More because my dad sat out there and made me do it than because I had any interest in using my hands.

I guess what Im saying is I'm just a monkey with a wrench and a truck. The only way i keep from blowing things up is with alot of reading. I pick a project then I read all I can find about it online. Then I go try it myself, usually mess up the first time, then I have a little luck and it works out right.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Like CoyoteRun says, Ill fix it myself and pay the extra $500 haha!

Take this weekend for example. It's a great view to my thinking as I go through a project. I got to feeling my oats and pulled Cecilia into the garage. Its 96 degrees here so keeping her in the shade really renewed my wrench-turning itch. I looked at her standing there with her tall 4wd self and I thought Whats next?

I put cardboard under her because I knew she had a few leaks and I wanted to better pinpoint them and I didnt want her marking her territory on my garage floor. By the way I mentioned a rolly chair/creeper earlier. You can see the kids playing on it in a previous post. I got it because I had hip surgery and it helped me slide around to different locations without getting on the ground. I put it into creeper mode and man is it ever a back and hip saver. If you have any kind of back or leg problem I recommend it.

Anyway I got myself down on the creeper and WHOOSH! I was zipping along underneath her like a baby on a slip and slide. Engine, transfer case, rear end, I was everywhere. I placed my cardboard bits down and left it for a couple of days to check the drips. It looks like the rear end is leaking the most for me so I did my usual "step back and look at it" routine. What should I do first?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

First I find out what I'm looking at. I'm pretty sure I'll need seals and oil. That goes without saying. But rear ends on trucks are like rear ends on people. They're not all the same. I take a putty knife and scrape all around the rear end to find some number or something.