View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: 1960 Pick up VIN location

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
So to speak to the purpose of the two VIN tag holes in a 1000 series GMC trucks' door frame; they are stamped out as part of the manufacturing process for that piece of sheetmetal which was indeed used on constructing Chevrolet cabs, and larger series GMC's where a different type of VIN plate may have been used. I checked my 1960 parts truck and it came with the kick panel tag and I also called a friend who is a local expert on early "knee knocker" trucks and he's never seen a 1960 GMC with a door post VIN plate. So, unless someone can provide proof of a US made (Mexican or Canadian assembly plant produced trucks very well might have had a door pillar mounted tag) 1960 1000 series pickup coming with a door pillar mounted tag I think its safe to say that all 1960 1000 series trucks have the kick panel mounted VIN plate like the 55-59 trucks had. 1961 is when I believe GMC went to the slimmer tag mounted on the door jamb.
I agree but I gave up, not worth it. The "proof" is hard to come by because there are 61's titled as 60's and, as I said, almost impossible to tell. Same motor, same series and so on. Especially with no title. The theory of different methods at different factories is weak in my opinion. You will find different methods at SAME factory, Then what do you say? Are you going to say that at the same factory they made two styles of tags in 1960 and workers had two different build instructions for 1960? More than likely a pillar tag 60 is a late 1960 build which was build like a 61. Is a 61, but titled/registered in 1960. As far as attitude, because I knew 60 had kick panel I thought poster was trying to pull a fast one on DMV. Thinking that he should have been able to get a title if truck had already been registered as he posted. So there would be a record of this truck and it's VIN in Texas. No mention of why no title or bill of sale. That was fishy to me. I guess he was not scamming, just not understanding his is not a 60. I guess Snazzypig and GMCNUT are wrong also.

Last edited by AZKen; November 29th, 2016 at 08:01 AM.