View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2014, 06:26 AM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blown head gasket vs. cracked block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Budget is definitely an issue, Even if I took a year or more to rebuild it as good as new. I saw an ad for a 305 with a 5-speed tranny 45 min away. It might be kinda fun to get a small block V8? So, I'm hoping that fixing the top will help minimize the oil loss so at least I can drive it a while.
Oil Leaking or oil burning? Which problem do you have or do you have both? Am I mistaken, I thought you were dealing with losing coolant?

If it's leaking oil for the most part then all gaskets and probably front and rear crank seals need to be done to stop leaks.

If it's burning oil for the most part then you likely need valve guides and rings(complete engine rebuild).

For budget reasons I would do some searching for a good used 6 cyl drop in engine even from a much newer truck, it keeps sounding more and more like this will be your best budget option. A 6 cyl swap will also be the simplest fix.

Doing a head rebuild to eliminate problems that you are not absolutely positive about could just be throwing away good money. You might just find a good deal somewhere on a solid 6 cyl for the price of that head rebuild and gaskets.