Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Truck: 1963 K-1000 Sub, 1963 C-1000 Sub, 1965 C-1000 Sub
jimjaz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inline six woes

I agree with Quest's comments- what does your timing mark say when #1 cylinder is at TDC? If it lines up at "zero", then good. If not, the timing gear chain may have jumped a tooth. Timing is everything...
- you should also be able to spark all of your plugs one at a time, if one is not firing, then this could explain the unburned gas you describe. BUT, running on 5 cylinders would be very noticeable.
- have you taken off the valve cover to see the valves in action at idle? You should see that they all are lifting about the same. A flat cam lobe will make your engine run like doo-doo, as you describe, but it will be "running" on all cylinders.
- have you done a compression check on the cylinders? This could reveal something. Do it "dry" first, then "wet" with a squirt of oil. If your valves and valve train are working properly, then a compression test "wet" will get you a higher number, if not, then the problem may be in the valve/valve train.
- the power brake booster; remove the vacuum hose from your carb manifold vacuum and plug it such that it does not leak, and take it for a spin. Maybe the booster is leaking internally allowing unwanted air into the engine? Not a common problem, but you may find something here.
- the carb; what is the history? If you bought the truck and it has always had the problems you are describing, this is worth investigating. I don't know anything about single-barrel Rochester carbs, but if there is something in your carb that does not belong, like a jet/metering rod that does not belong there. You might want to consider taking the carb off and paying somebody old-school who does this for a living go through it and rebuild it to factory specs. Probably will set you back about a bill-and-a-half. Carburetors can be a bit tricky, even single barrel ones.
I was battling a carb problem with the accelerator pump after it was rebuilt and came to find out that the leather cup (umbrella) was no longer being made, the replacement style was an O-ring on a detent acc pump shaft that was simply rolling itself off and dislodging itself, but this only caused me problems in starting it- once I got it running it ran fine, but getting it fired up was a real chore.

Hope this gives you some help along the way and gets you and your truck happily back on the road.

Cheers,
Jim

63 GMC K1000 Sub restored original
63 GMC C1000 Sub original
65 GMC C1000 Sub OEM modified
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom SWB original