View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2018, 09:36 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gmc V12 in trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960gmcv12 View Post
I'm a newbie but did gmc actually put V12 in trucks I've never seen a pic of one in a truck
Howdy, and Welcome to the board!

A word of Warning! V-12s are addictive!

First, V12s are fast becoming extinct. Only built from 60-66. If a person can get one running regardless of use, you have a automotive living, breathing dinosaur. The engines were very durable, and I like the unique design. The "twin-six" came from the fact GMC used all components from the 351, hence, 702, Twin six on one block, crank, camshaft, ignition, and oil pan. All other parts are inter-changeable.

Many were used here in the plains states on Ag. irrigation wells. and burned natural gas. I worked for the farmer and cared for the motor that's in the '46 Chev. when it was new in '65. It pumped 2200 gal a minute for 22 years with one overhaul bored .30 over.

When we checked them at night, the exhaust manifolds would be glowing cherry red. If there was a weak cylinder, the manifold would have a darker spot at that one than the rest.

I keep it in our metal shop. When people come with smaller kids to see it, I'll start it up, let it warm a little, then gradually start speeding it up. When the metal on the shop starts to rumble about 2100, close the throttle real quick, and then back-fires, blowing fire out the 4 exhaust pipes, that's when the stampede starts for the door.

It doesn't take much to keep an ol' retired farmer entertained, Huh, Rap-em-Pappy?

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.