View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2017, 03:38 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Default Re: dash lights come on when I depress brake/no brake lights

Thanks for responses gentlemen.
James I hope you are right. I have read of individuals who changed their entire wiring system because they couldn't find out what was causing lights to work and not work. It has become almost universally understood that ground gremlins are the source of most problems.

Earlier this evening I was cleaning and re grounding wires under dash. No change. I went to driver's tail light assembly and pulled the boot off the back of the brass bulb parts and noticed corrosion (boot was not properly installed on the bracket so moisture got in). I brushed and cleaned contacts and even the two bolts that hold the bulb housing. I added some dialectic grease and reassembled. Tuned on lights - still no tail lights. I pushed the bulb in and noticed a faint glow.. Hurray. I will do more grounding work around tail light assembly tomorrow. I think you are definately moving me in the right direction. (Is wire brushing contact points or using dialectic lube a bad idea?)

I read of people adding ground wires from tail light assembly to frame. Do you recommend? Also would your use one of the existing bolts on the tail light brackets? also, what guage wire would you use?
Thank you sir for any and all help.