Thread: 305 to 350
View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2017, 12:35 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 305 to 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatwarsaw View Post
Hi all, I am going to apply for a texas bonded title probley next week for the 66 sw gmc. I have another project going on at the time on a willys fc-150, when I get a little spare time., I am going to try to get the engine running, if all comes to the worst and the engine doesn't pan out, I have a new 350chev crate engine. seting in the shop. the big question is now, if I have to use the 350, will it bolt up to the bell housing, I have a 305e in it now. if not is there a adapter kit for that? thanks for any info.

Greetings Bob!

In answer to your question, the 350 Chevy engine will definitely not bolt up to the Big Block GMC V-6 bell housing. What transmission do you have in your truck? SM318 three speed? SM420 four speed? Power Glide Automatic? For either of the two manual transmissions, you would need the appropriate Chevy manual transmission bell housing to make the conversion. As to the automatic transmission, you would have to ask someone else on this forum, as I have only worked on trucks equipped with manual transmissions. And, as a personal opinion, if your 305E GMC engine is bad, I would definitely search out and find a good GMC V-6 replacement engine. Far too many of these Classic GMC trucks have been converted to the Chevy 350 engine, which to me, entirely spoils the value and collectibility of these wonderful old trucks. Keep it original if at all possible.