View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:07 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stuck clutch 62 4 speed

Greetings club members!

In order to remove the bell housing from a Big Block V-6, you have to remove the tranny, then remove the clutch from the flywheel, then remove the flywheel from the crankshaft. At this point, you will be able to access the bolts holding the bell housing to the engine block, enabling you to remove the bell housing. This engine is not like an I-6 or V-8 Chevy engine where the bell housing can be removed separate of the clutch and flywheel. However, I suspect that it is not your clutch itself that is stuck. Since the '62 GMC trucks were equipped with a hydraulically operated clutch mechanism, your problem is most likely either in the master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, or both. It is also interesting to note that early versions of the Chevy I-6 ('62 and earlier) require the same procedure to remove the bell housing from the engine as that of the Big Block V-6 engines. I hope this helps you out!