Thread: Terrible milage
View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2022, 02:33 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Terrible milage

I have complained about this before. I haven't driven the truck much the past year, maybe a couple times not putting much milage on it. I decided to check out why it was running bad and refused to idle. The vacuum port at the base of the Holley 2300 had cracked. I replaced it with one I had on hand. I have been going through these caps and they seem to deteriorate at an alarming rate even when the vehicle is not used. I finally went to Summit and bought Dorman brand of caps hoping that they would last longer. I did find another cap that was cracked, all were replaced with the Dorman brand. Then I went to top off my tank, it took 9.3 gallons for milage of 36 miles!!! After I picked myself off the ground I did the vacuum leak check by spraying everything with carb cleaner, around the base, all the caps, the vacuum line going to distributor. Everything was good, no change in idle. I had changed the jets from a #74 to a 71 and then to either a 70 or 69 as that is what is in the truck now. I checked the dwell and it was about 32, fiddled with the mixture screws for max RPM, they were close to where I ended up. Any ideas what I should do next, should I go down even lower in jet size???
chuck this carb and get a new one, I really hate going back to the stocker with the oil bath.