Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:20 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: inline six woes

Thanks a ton for advice. You guys are great!
So what I did today was set timing and mixture with vacuum gauge. Too easy, but, I felt it may be a more honest setting than using pulley mark. More than one person has said the pulleys wear on rotation components - giving incorrect reading. Made sense. Setting timing at max vacuum (with a little adjustment to steady vacuum needle) actually started the process of resetting everything. It lowered engine rev, vacuum called for leaner setting at carb, I set idle to 550. Today, I feel, improvements were evident. I'm not sure how to tell what the exhaust should sound like but it seems a little more balanced and a little cooler (rapbapbap). lol ..........Smell is still not great. Unburned gasses???

For other readers, I made a stethascope and aimed at all vacuum connections (booster, intake manifold, pcv, around carb, etc. All seemed good. I sprayed carb cleaner at intake gasket and idle did not change. Unless internal issue, I feel pretty sure I've done what I can from outside the engine.

It's a bitter sweet find, but I think the vibration is caused by u-joint problem.

Back to tuning, please share insight if you believe more is needed.