View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2014, 01:11 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Priming a 351e v6 engine

Drop the key switch down on it's pigtail so that you can see it/access it. Don't unplug connector yet. You can be the switch, by connecting two terminals and temporarily touching another. You can do it under the hood also, that takes some jumper wires too. A cheap 2 gal Walmart plastic gas can ($5 ) is good to have around the yard anyway. That's what I use. Run rubber fuel hose from fuel pump inlet to down inside can spout, can sitting on the ground. You don't need a filter in that line. Take off or replace any filter between pump outlet and carb. You don't need any filters for this test. New gas, new can, new hose. I don't think the carb will operate correctly but it should at least start. May have to cup your hand over carb and work the throttle. A helper would be nice. If you have a working hand choke, you can close it 90%-100%. Now that you know it was running, don't worry, it will be OK to start. The oil in plug holes should be blown out or leaked down by now. Don't add any more when putting plugs in tight. (damage can occur) I will check schematic for wire colors/position to jump on switch or describe under hood . Others here may help. Good battery? If your dizzy is off on the bench, you can set points easy. You need to do that. The rotor is keyed and the cap is keyed. You are still going to rotate motor with starter and no plugs before actual start. I understand you will be watching oil pressure gage and watching rocker area. You should continue to report your progress. Maybe someday this post will help someone else. Good job so far. It is good you want to do it yourself, that's what old trucks are all about. When you hear it fire off you will want a cheeseburger and fries. I think a lot of guys think a 351E is cool. Make sure you read everything, at least about motors and specs, on the Jolly legacy site.

Last edited by AZKen; November 25th, 2014 at 01:27 AM.