View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2017, 08:53 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Old Hemmings Picture

Greetings TJ!

If you think a 230 is a small engine, how about the 1950 Chevy 3600 3/4 ton pick-up truck that my Dad traded in 1966 for the '63 Chevy 30 Series 1 ton pick-up that I eventually wound up owning?

The '50 Chevy was equipped with the 216 C.I. inline "Stovebolt" 6 rated at 88 Horsepower, and still was able to tote 3 tons of coal from the local farm Co-Op to our home for our coal fired furnace! Wish I had a picture of that truck on that day! The rear bumper was only about 10 inches from the ground when he got home, and of course with that much weight in the truck, he couldn't drive very fast, but still, that much weight in a 3/4 ton pick-up with only 88 Horsepower was impressive for that era in time! And he never broke any of the rear leaf springs in the 16 years that he owned that truck! When he traded it in 1966, the '50 Chevy only had 29,000 actual miles on it! Wish I had that truck today!

I forgot to mention that my Dad had built cab height sides, front and back for the purpose(s) of such chores as hauling coal, oats, shelled corn, and other assorted grains that we raised on our farm. I have a friend who once said: "You farmers think that the 3/4 ton rating means 3 or 4 ton truck"! I don't know that he wasn't too far from the truth with that comment!!