Thread: Wheel cylinder
View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2022, 04:55 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wheel cylinder

Ken: I know you like pictures, but the bolt heads are so securely tucked away good imagery is not on. Likewise access for the grinders you mention.
Best suggestion is that you go out and look behind any of your front wheels to see the problem.
To avoid the various possibilities, each with drawbacks, for removing the old cylinder, I went for cutting the tip off one of the protective "ears" on the backing plate.
This allowed me to drive out the old components and give the cylinder bore a good cleaning and inspection. This showed a sound bore that got even better with a light honing.
Since rebuild kits are no longer available, I had to buy a new complete unit. I was surprised to find both my favorite local independent parts stores had one in stock.
So I removed the pistons, seals, spring and end covers from the $40 beautiful new assembly and transplanted them to the old one.
So far, it looks like the best fix, if not for a 1000 mile cross country race, but fine for hauling this year's hay, etc.