View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2023, 07:18 PM

Truck: 1961 Series 1000
goodpal is on a distinguished road
Question Fuel supply loss when in gear

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have any ideas on an issue I'm having with my 61' GMC 1000. End of last summer I had a sudden loss of fuel to the engine and ended up dead on the side of the road. Fuel pump looked fine so I replaced the fuel sending unit, gassed back up and all was good.

Fast forward to this spring and I'm taking my truck out of storage and don't make it more than 5 miles before a loss of fuel/power again. Put gas in the tank and no dice.

Had it towed back to the storage place (which also does classic car repair) and asked them to take a look. They said I was getting air in through the fitting and replace the fitting and built new fuel lines, called me and said all was good.

Today I made it about 15 miles back towards my house (5 to go...) and started experiencing a sudden and complete loss of power again with one or two kicks back on briefly. Pulled over, truck starts right back up now (which it didn't last time) and idles great. Putting it in gear I can make it another...50 feet maybe before I start to lose power. It now currently lives in the parking lot of a friendly tax accountant and I intend to tow it back to my house.

Any one have any experience or ideas on this one? I'm planning on checking/replacing the fuel filter, checking compression, air filter etc. but am curious if there are any other thoughts on this.

Thanks! Been a member for a while but my first time posting here,
Jeff